Email: felix at felixultimate.com
Felix is an Ultimate Frisbee player (since 2000), coach (since 2002), strategist, and coach educator from Brighton, UK. He is currently playing for GB Beach Men’s Masters, and travelling around the world delivering Ultimate sessions to players ranging from PE Teachers to Worlds-level competitors. He aims to spread the game in its simple, enjoyable form – along with the Spirit of the Game philosophy, to countries where it can have a significant positive impact. For established teams and players, he aims to share the skills, drills, techniques, strategies, and philosophies of the game he has encountered, developed, and evolved since starting in 2000. In 2012, Felix conceived of Hexagon Offence and Flexagon Defence – strategies which are being increasingly adopted around the world, and encompass new approaches to the game, embracing a fresh new philosophy.
His most recent clinics have been in:
- South Africa (March 2017) – working with Gauteng Ultimate to develop university teams, township teams, and visiting international players advanced player skills and basic coaching skills
- Southampton (Sept 2016) – introducing Hexagon Offence and Flexagon Defence to local university players
- St Andrews (Sept 2016) – teaching skills and techniques, plus introducing Hexagon Offence and Flexagon Defence, over week of pre-season training (St Andrews beat Sussex in the Indoor National Final this year)
- Latvia (Sept 2016) – introducing Hexagon Offence and Flexagon Defence to local teams Salaspils, Sirocco, OFK, Ventspils, and more
- Macedonia (May 2016) – working with 10 Million Discs to introduce Ultimate to schools, train PE Teachers, and develop visiting international players
He has won many titles as a player, including: Open Indoor National Champion (2005), European Mixed Club Champion (2009), UK Mixed Club Champion (2010), and UK Open Club Champion (2011), as well as being a runner-up with Great Britain Open at the 2011 European Ultimate Championships. As a coach he’s won UK Junior Nationals (2008), University Open Outdoor Nationals – twice (2011, 2012), University Women’s Outdoor Nationals seven times (2007-2014), and several University Indoor titles. He also coached the Great Britain U23 Mixed team to a 5th place finish at the 2015 U23 World Championships.
Individual players whom Felix has coached from complete beginner to international-standard include:
- Ashley Yeo (Clapham 2012+, GB Open 2015+)
- Beccie Haigh (Iceni 2011+, GB 2011+)
- Hayden Slaughter (GB Open 2015+)
- Megan Hurst (GB 2010+)
- Nick White (GB 2013+)
- Hannah Brew (GB 2013+)
- Callum Ayers (GB Open 2012+)
- Alizé “Bob” Clough (GB 2007+)
- Richard “Gash” Harris (Clapham 2007+, GB 2007+)
- Kai Yokoo (Clapham 2005+, GB 2007+)
- Elliot Canning (GB 2015, Clapham 2017)
- Josh “Geezer” George (GB 2015)
- Also: Anastasia “Starzy” Riordan-Eva, Robbie Haines (from 3rd year), Becca Easey, James Wotherspoon, Abi Cohman, Rich Roberts, Christianne Birtwhistle, Joe Butler, Nanna Aaserod (Norway), Jack Beezer, Mette Moller-Nielsen (Denmark), Maxine Tink, Vicki James, Luis Semple (Clapham).
In 2004, Felix was a key founder of Brighton Ultimate – now the biggest Ultimate club in Europe. He has been training and playing at the top level since the year 2000 without taking a break, and coaching regularly since 2002 at levels ranging from primary schools through to Universities and Great Britain teams. He has introduced Ultimate to over 1700 kids aged 8-12 in the last two years, and has likely taught more than 4000 players how to throw a disc.